My dad gave us an air fryer/convection oven for Christmas, and these crispy little nuggets of deliciousness were its maiden voyage! Essentially, they are a combination of concepts between our Homemade Onion Rings and our Caramelized Onion Pancakes…but with additional flavours baked in!
While we used our air fryer, if you haven’t got one, you can always deep fry or even bake these (although the textures will be different, the tastes should still be great). We ate ours as a mid-afternoon snack, but they would work nicely over a field greens salad to turn them into more of an entree component!
Time: 45 Minutes
- Medium Sweet Onion
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Ranch Dressing
- An Egg
- Corn Meal (amount tbd to achieve desired texture)
- Dice your onion finely, and add them to a mixing bowl. The smaller the pieces, the better your fritters will hold together.
- Pour in some shredded cheddar and ranch dressing, and stir to combine.
- Add an egg to your mixture, and stir it in as well.
- Lastly, sprinkle in your corn meal little bits at a time, and stirring them in between. Keep going until you can easily clump your mixture, and it holds together.
- Form your onion balls, place them on a foiled pan, and stash them in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Cook until Golden Brown:
- Air fry for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees
- Deep fry until crispy
- Bake in a conventional oven at 400 degrees F until they look ready (25-30 minutes)
- Plate, top with a little BBQ sauce, Devour, and Enjoy!