Just in time for game day (whether you like college or pro football, really)! About a year ago, we posted Enchilada Nachos, which were inspired by these ones. This recipe however is the real thing! As with the Enchilada version, the key is to mix your refried beans with your sauce before building your nachos. Without this as the foundation of your nacho construction, you’ll wind up with something suboptimal…and that fact has been proven.
If you’re not planning to watch football, these nachos have proven to be great fuel for activities such as (but not limited to):
- Playing board games (Carcassonne!!!)
- Hunting flies that happen to come into your apartment
- Trying to make sense of how someone could break a garbage disposal twice in the exact same way
- Commiserating about econometrics
- General reminiscing.
- As a side note, they are also a solid fallback option after failed drive-thru excursions.
Note: Our tower was a “low rise” because we only built two layers…but you can build this as high as your like!
Time: 15 Minutes
- Tortilla Chips
- Refried Beans (we used fat free)
- Optional Toppings:
- Pickled Jalapenos
- Shredded Lettuce
- Diced Tomato
- Sliced Black Olives
- Diced Onion
- Shredded Cheese…We used cheddar.
- Empty your can of refried beans into a bowl, and pour in some salsa. Stir to fully combine, and add more salsa as needed. In the end, you’re looking for a goopy mass that can be spread fairly easily with a spoon but isn’t too runny.
- Prep your toppings by cutting them in the ways described in the “Optional Toppings” ingredients list.
- Arrange a layer of tortilla chips on your plate, and then scoop some of your bean mixture atop.
- Add on your toppings of choice (lettuce should be put on last, as they don’t sit as flat, and it’d be harder to keep your other toppings in place if you put the lettuce down first).
- Sprinkle some cheese atop your first layer.
- Arrange ANOTHER layer of tortilla chips, and top them with your optional toppings in the same way you built your first layer.
- Built as many layers as you like in this manner.
- Spread some more cheese on top, and microwave for about 2 minutes to melt your cheese. Time will vary based on your microwave.
- Devour, and enjoy!