After making our Heart Beet Stromboli a few weeks ago, we wanted to try another one with different flavours. For this, we decided to play around with some Cordon Bleu ingredients (no chicken though, oddly enough). Anyway, we recommend serving this with a whole grain mustard aioli (just mix together some mayo and whole grain mustard) as a dipping sauce.
*You can also make these ahead of time, and stash your rolled dough in the fridge (don’t let them touch each other), and then cook them when you’re ready.
Time: 2 Hrs (less if you use pre-made dough or prep your dough ahead of time)
- Pizza Dough. We used our Classic Pizza Dough Recipe, but this would also be great with our Pumpernickel Pizza Dough. (Those dough recipes make two good sized strombolis)
- Swiss Cheese of some sort. We used sliced Raclette, but shredded Gruyere or Emmentaler would be fantastic as well.
- Slice your onions thinly, and add them to a pan with melted butter over low heat, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes to caramelize.
- While your onions cook, put your pizza stone in the oven, and heat your to 425 degrees F.
- When your onions are nearly done, roll your dough out into a flat rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Then, top it with your prosciutto, cheese, and onions.
- Roll everything up and tuck the ends under itself. Try to get a good seal so moisture doesn’t run out during cooking.
- Place your rolled stromboli on a piece of parchment paper.
- Working in this manner, roll out all of your strombolis.
- Cut two or three vent holes in the top of each (this will help you avoid huge air bubbles from forming during cooking).
- Pull your pizza stone from the oven, place your parchment paper (with strombolis atop) onto the pizza stone, and put back in the oven.
- Cook for about 25 minutes until you have a nice golden brown crispy crust.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!