My mother-in-law gave us some incredibly juicy sumo oranges last weekend, and since they are so flavourful, we wanted to build a meal around them! Thus, this one came to be. We wound up juicing the oranges, adding some Asian components, and turn them into a sauce to serve with a Chicken Stir Fry!
As with all stir fries, this is incredibly customizable and would work well with shrimp, pork, or chicken breast instead of the chicken thighs if you prefer those proteins. You can also mix and match any vegetables you like to build your own stir fry! Regardless, this sauce will leave you wanting more!
- Boneless/Skinless Chicken Thighs
- Stir Fry Veggies of your choice. We used green beans, but red peppers, julienned celery and/or carrots, or broccoli would also be good.
- Optional: Sesame Seeds
- For the sauce:
- Juice from two oranges (Either fresh squeezed or pre-made orange juice)
- 3 Tablespoons of Rice Vinegar (give or take depending on how tart you like your sauce)
- 1 Tablespoon of Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of White Sugar
- Red Pepper Flakes (to taste depending on your desired level of spiciness)
- 2-3 Cloves of Garlic (peeled and shredded with a microplane grater)
- 2 Tablespoons of Corn Starch
- 2 Tablespoons of Warm Water
- Prep your sauce.
- Juice your oranges, and add the juice to a sauce pan.
- Add in your red pepper flakes, grated garlic, soy sauce, sugar, and rice vinegar, and bring to a simmer.
- While your sauce simmers, cut your vegetables, and set them in a bowl. Then cut your protein into chunks or slices (unless using shrimp).
- Heat some oil in a heavy bottomed pan or wok, and when it’s hot, add your protein and veggies. Sautee/stir fry until cooked.
- As your protein and veggies finish, dissolve your corn starch in the warm water, stir to fully incorporate, and pour it into your sauce pan to thicken.
- After a few minutes of sauce thickening, pour your sauce over your stir fry, and add sesame seeds if using.
- Sautee everything together, stirring to coat your protein and veggies, until the sauce reaches your desired thickness.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!