The idea for this pizza came about the other day when my wife and I went to dinner at El Sitio in Collingswood, NJ. We went there for one of our first dates, and we hadn’t been there in a few years, so it felt like the perfect choice to go back.
To start our meal, we split an order of Plantain Empanadas. Then, for our entrees, my wife got the Chicken Arepas, and I had the Peruvian Picante. By the end, after we were completely and overwhelmingly full from the incredible meal, we had the idea to combine all of the flavours into this pizza.
We started by making a Roasted Plantain Pizza Crust, and then we stewed a beefsteak tomato with some onions and spices before adding crab and using that as the primary pizza topping…with Manchego to finish everything off.
Time: 45 Minutes
- Pizza Crust or Dough
- Crab Claw Meat
- Ground Turmeric
- Ground Cumin
- Manchego Cheese (although Mozzarella would also work)
- Optional: Cayenne for a little kick
- Optional: Cilantro (we used dried)
- Dice your onion and tomato, and sautee in some olive oil to break them down.
- When your tomato turns saucy, add your cumin, turmeric, and paprika, and then stir in your crab meat, and let everything simmer so the flavours blend.
- As everything simmers, slice or shred your Manchego
- Place your pizza stone or pan in your oven, and preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- When your oven is heated, pull the stone/pan out of the oven, and prepare your crust/dough by shaping and placing it atop.
- Then, top your pizza with your crab and tomato mixture, add on some corn, and place your cheese on top of all of that.
- Put your pizza in the oven, and bake it for 20-25 minutes until the cheese melts, and your crust reaches your desired level of thickness.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!