We’ve been having a lot of fun with Saffron recently. We realize that a lot of these dishes are rice based dishes, and we will be branching out in the near future…but for now, we’re sticking with another rice dish! This one is basically a fusion of Asian Fried Rice (method) and Spanish Seafood Paella (flavour profile).
In all, this is a relatively quick dish to make with lots of colour and flavour. It’s also very customizable since you can switch out proteins or vegetables to suit any whim you may have!
Time: 35 Minutes
- Long Grain White Rice (We used Arroz) (1 part rice to 3 parts water)
- Saffron (or as a quick, cheap substitute, some ground turmeric and paprika)
- Shrimp (Peeled and Deveined)
- Oil (Sunflower would be great here….we used olive oil because that’s what we had on hand…just stay away from extra virgin olive oil, which has a much lower smoke point)
- Vegetables. We used:
- Red Onion
- Red Pepper
- Frozen Peas
- Frozen Corn
- Combine your hot water and some saffron stems (or your turmeric and paprika) in your rice pot, and bring to a simmer. Then, carefully, add your rice, and let cook (stirring occasionally) until the water is absorbed fully.
- While your rice cooks, heat a pan with a little oil.
- Dice your onion, and add to your pan, stirring occasionally.
- Wash and dice your red pepper, and add to your onions to sautee.
- When your onions begin to caramelize, add your corn and peas to the pan, and sautee together.
- Give your shrimp a quick and light sprinkle of salt and paprika.
- When your rice is nearly done, add your shrimp to the pan for a quick cook.
- After a minute or two, add and stir in your rice to combine and finish everything. (You may need to add a little more oil during this step).
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!