We cooked this on a day in Grindelwald, Switzerland where it snowed like crazy. There were white out conditions, and so, much to our chagrin, we opted to stick to indoor activities (which is not our default position in life). Well, only somewhat indoor, I guess since we still walked all around town and up and down (several times) the steep, snowy, slippery road between town and our Air BnB…So glad there were handrails for part of that walk! Anyway, my wife dragged me (quasi-willingly?) to the town’s ice skating rink for a little while, which was great fun (but don’t tell her that I said that). Then, when we got back to our flat, she did what her instincts told her to do and made a snowman (complete with a leftover parsnip for a nose and Brussels Sprouts for eyes…use what you’ve got, no?).
Time: 45 Minutes
- Fingerling Potatoes
- Beets (we used pickled shredded beets…if using raw, add boil and peel time of about 40 minutes depending on the size of your beets)
- Black Pepper
- Boil your potatoes for about 10 minutes until they are tender but still firm. Set aside to cool for a few minutes. When cool, grate using the shredding plate of your food processor or a box grater. Boil, peel, and shred your beets as well if not pre-shredded.
- Heat some butter in a heavy bottomed pan, and when it stops bubbling, add your potatoes and beets.
- Stir to combine, and let cook for about 5-10 minutes. Then, when it starts to get crispy on the bottom, stir again to mix everything up. Repeat this process a few times (adding black pepper during your last iteration) until your rösti is cooked to your liking.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!