With all the rain so far this year, we’ve had a much better start to our foraging season than last year. This particular dish was an array of simple sautéed Chanterelles and Lung Oysters along with the star of our sampler: a marinated Grilled Chicken of the Woods Mushroom!
Chicken of the Woods is a very hearty and full bodied mushroom that has the texture of chicken and a mild, slightly earthy flavour. Given that it is robust enough to hold up to grilling, we decided to marinate and grill! This simple preparation really allowed the mushroom to shine. We went with a tangy marinade, which worked well, but we definitely plan to play with the grilled chicken concept in the future…probably with BBQ sauce!
Time: 30 Minutes
- Chicken of the Woods Mushroom
- A Tangy Marinade (or BBQ Sauce) of your choosing
- Wash your chicken mushroom to remove any bugs/dirt/twigs it may have in it.
- Cut your chicken mushroom into strips, and arrange it in a bowl.
- Pour your marinade over your mushroom, and toss to coat. Let sit for about a half hour so it can really infuse its flavour.
- Heat your grill, and when it’s hot, arrange your mushroom on it. Cook for about 4-5 minutes per side until you have some nice grill marks, and your mushroom is fully cooked.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!