With fishing season approaching, we felt it was safe to finish the final pack of our frozen trout from last year’s season. We decided to go a little differently than we normally do for this meal, so we poached our trout, built fish cakes, and served them on Brioche as sandwiches! Each of us went with a little different sauce…One had a Remoulade, one had tartar sauce, and one had BBQ sauce! Suffice to say, you can build very different flavour profiles with this sandwich.
We served our sandwiches with a copious side of Coleslaw, but depending on the sauce you opt to use on your bun, other great pairings may include Sweet Potato Fries, Grilled Corn, or Roasted Baby Potatoes.
Time: 30 Minutes
- Trout Fillets (We used about 2 fillets/burger)
- Egg (we used two eggs to make 3 burgers)
- Bread Crumbs
- Garlic Powder
- Sandwich Toppings…we used lettuce, onion, and tomato
- Brioche buns
- Sauce of your choosing
- Pour some water into a large pan (best if the pan has a big diameter and tall sides), and bring to a simmer.
- Pat your trout fillets dry, and add them to the water. Poach for a few minutes until the flesh firms and changes colour from pink to whitish. Then, remove, and set your fillets on a cutting board to cool slightly.
- Peel the fish fillets away from the skin, and “crumble” the skin into a bowl.
- Add your salt, garlic powder, paprika, and bread crumbs to your bowl. Then, crack an egg in, and mix everything together.
- Heat a griddle or pan with some oil on it.
- Form your fish into patties, and cook for 5-6 minutes per side.
- As your fish patties cook, assemble your buns
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!