As we planned to cook our first meal of 2023, we had a lot of options. There were fresh vegetables aplenty in the fridge (as part of our focus on getting back to normal after the holiday eating), and with our array, we could have gone a number of different ways. With our endless array of choices though, of course, we went with Swiss Fusion! In this particular case, we combined a classic sandwich originating from Philadelphia, PA (the Cheesesteak) with some of our favourite Swiss influences/flavours. Specifically, we opted to use chicken (Geschnetzeltes style), Swiss chard, Mushrooms, and Onions as our primary sandwich filling…and then we topped everything off with a Fondue Avalanche to replace the traditional “cheese product” normally used. Then, we finished our plate with a sautéed veggie medley. This entire meal was a huge hit with my family, and it feels like it’ll be a fairly common “make again.”
Side Note: Our ingredients list is written for a Classic Fondue, but if you want to mix it up a bit, try using any of our Fondue Recipes to top your sandwich filling. You can also customize by changing up your filling ingredients to match whichever Fondue you’re going with! Either way, we think you’ll enjoy!
Time: 35 Minutes
Ingredients (makes 3 sandwiches):
- Hoagie Rolls
- For your Sandwich Filling:
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- Swiss Chard
- Black Pepper
- For your Fondue:
- 1/3 pound of grated Swiss cheese. We used a blend of Emmentaler and Gruyere.
- 1/4 cup of dry white wine
- 1/2 tablespoon of corn starch
- A little more than 1/2 tablespoon of Kirschwasser or Cherry Brandy
- Black Pepper
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- Slice your onions, mushrooms, and Swiss chard (after removing the stems). Place your mushrooms and chard in a large bowl, and set aside.
- Prep your cheese. Either grate with a box grater or shred with the shredding plate of your food processor (easier). Set aside.
- Heat a little butter in a large pan, and then add your onions.
- As your onions cook, slice your chicken thinly. Then, add it to your pan to brown.
- Once your chicken has browned, add in your mushrooms and Swiss chard along with a little salt and pepper. Stir occasionally until all of your ingredients are cooked, and any excess liquid evaporates from your pan.
- As your chicken finishes, cut a clove of garlic in half, and rub it all around the inside of the pot you will use to make your fondue. Then, pour in your wine, and bring to a simmer.
- As your wine heats, slice your rolls, and arrange them on your plate(s).
- When your wine is simmering, pour in your cheese, and whisk as it melts to ensure an even mixture.
- When your cheese has fully melted, combine your kirschwasser and corn starch in a small cup, and stir to fully dissolve. Then, whisk as your pour that into your cheesy goodness. Add in a little paprika and black pepper as you continue to whisk.
- Scoop your chicken/veggies atop your roll(s), and then pour your fondue over it all to finish.
- Devour, and enjoy!