A while back, we made Poblano Pepperjack Burgers, which got us thinking…what other peppers could be good toppings for burgers? Well, at our CSA, we saw a really fresh looking pack of shishito peppers, and we thought to ourselves, “These may fit the bill!” So, we fired up the grill, roasted our shishitos and used them as a topping for our burgers! Then, we added a teriyaki glaze as our condiment, and dined outside on our deck! In all, the sweet/salty teriyaki glaze complemented the beef and the intermittent heat of the shishitos really well.
We served our burgers with Grilled Corn (husk steamed version) and Roasted Yellow Bean “French Fries” (with yellow/green/purple beans). However, this would also pair really well with Kimchi Broccoli and Mushrooms or Teriyaki Edamame and Carrot Rice.
Time: 20 Minutes
- Ground Beef (we made 8oz patties)
- Shishito Peppers (4-5/burger)
- Teriyaki Glaze
- Burger Buns (We used Kaiser Rolls)
- Toppings of your choice…we used spinach, tomato, and onion
- Preheat your grill to medium heat.
- Cut the stems off your shishito peppers, and arrange them on a grill safe pan, and give them a light oil spray.
- Form your burger patties.
- Place your peppers and burgers on the grill, and allow to cook for 5-7 minutes.
- As your peppers and burgers cook, prep your buns and toppings.
- Flip your burgers, and rotate your peppers, and allow to cook for another 5-7 minutes. **Cooking times will vary based on the thickness of your burger patties and desired level of doneness.
- When your burgers reach a minimum internal cooked temperature of 160 degrees F (or higher if you want it more well done), you’re good to go.
- Place your patties on your bun, and top with your grilled shishito peppers.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!