We were looking for an Asian meal component that could play in both the side dish and entree realms to pair with our small serving of Sesame Seared Scallops, and we came up with this fried rice! We wanted it to complement the scallops, so we decided to go vegetarian and a portion size indicating a side dish. We also wanted it to be a costar rather than an afterthought, so we used Oyster Mushrooms to add a little uniqueness to the rice.
From there, we added diced carrots, onion, peas, and a little hoisin to help with colour and to give a little sweetness, and we were off and running!
Time: 45 Minutes
- 1/4 Cup of Rice (per serving)
- Oyster Mushrooms
- Soy Sauce
- Hoisin Sauce
- Make your Rice ahead of time:
- Heat a little oil in a pot, and add your rice. Stir to combine, and allow to cook until your rice becomes opaque.
- Turn the heat to low, and add in your water. You want 2x the amount of rice you used.
- Put a lid loosely over the pot, and allow to cook until the water is absorbed.
- Scoop your cooked rice into a bowl, and set aside to cool.
- When you’re ready to cook, dice your onion and carrot.
- Heat some oil in a wok, and add your diced onion and carrots. Sauté for a few minutes until your onions soften and become opaque.
- As your carrots and onions cook, slice your oyster mushrooms.
- When your carrots and peas are ready, add in your mushrooms and peas, and stir to combine and cook.
- Add your rice to the wok, and pour in a little soy sauce and a scoop of hoisin.
- Stir to combine and coat everything with your sauce. Cook until your rice is hot again.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!