We made this on August 1st to celebrate Swiss National Day! The idea for this came from a blend of a few different recipes we’d made in the past, namely Bacon, Veggie, and Goat Milk Spätzlipfanne (for the goaty/bacony flavour) and Fondue Magronen (for the creaminess of the dish). We then added some carrots, cremini mushrooms, and onions to round out our colours, textures, and flavours. When it was ready, we rang our Swiss cowbell and feasted.
We also stumbled upon Annie B’s Sweets in Stockton Market (NJ), and we were amazed by their array of desserts. A handful reminded us of some of our favourite Swiss bakeries, so we bought 6 mini desserts to cap off our dinner celebration. If you live anywhere near the market, you have to go visit them.
Time: 30 Minutes (Plus any time needed to make your Spätzli)
- Spätzli of your choice. Try any of our Spätzli Recipes! We went with a Spinach variety.
- Hard Meltable Goat Cheese…A goat cheddar or gouda would be great.
- Black Pepper
- Shredded Carrots
- Mushrooms…White Button or Cremini
- Any other vegetables you like…peas would have been a solid addition.
- 1/4-1/2 Cup Dry White Wine (We used a Chardonnay)
- 1 Tablespoon of Corn Starch
- 1 Tablespoon of Kirshwasser (or water if you prefer depending on your flavour preference)
- Prep all of your ingredients:
- Make your Spätzli.
- Dice your Onions
- Dice your Garlic
- Slice your Mushrooms
- Slice your Bacon into Ribbons
- Dice or shred your Cheese
- Shred your Carrots.
- Heat a large pot with just a little butter in it. We used a Cast Iron Dutch Oven.
- Add your bacon, onion, and garlic, and cook until your bacon renders a bit, and your onion turns opaque.
- Add your mushrooms, shredded carrots, and any other veggies you’re using. Cook until your mushrooms soften and begin to brown.
- Turn the heat to low, and pour in your wine. Bring to a simmer, and allow it to simmer for a few minutes.
- Add and stir in your cheese to melt.
- When your cheese has melted, mix your corn starch with your Kirschwasser or water, and pour it into your pot. Stir to combine and to allow it to thicken your cheese.
- Add your Spätzli to the pot, and stir it in to combine all your ingredients and coat your noodles with cheese.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!