When I was younger, my mom, dad, sister, and I would often do Saturday lunches at Black River Barn. I haven’t been back in years, and it appears to have vacated its spot on the menu, but one one thing that my mom and I loved was their Shrimp Fra Diavolo Pizza…so I decided to try to recreate it for my family the other day! Essentially, this is a pizza made with a spicy marinara sauce, shrimp, and mozzarella…and it is sooooooo tasty! For our meal, we made personal sized pizzas since we all have a little bit different spice level preference…think Goldilocks and the Three Bears, but with my wife being the “Papa Bear of Capcaisin.”
Time: 30 Minutes
- Pizza Crust/Dough. Go with premade, or try one of our Dough Recipes!
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined.
- Marinara Sauce
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Shredded Mozzarella
- If using premade crust, place it on your pizza stone. If using your own homemade dough, roll it out, and cook it for about 10-15 minutes at 425 degrees F to get it ready. The reason you don’t want to build your this pizza on raw dough is that the extra cook time or higher temperature that would be needed to cook the dough would risk drying out your shrimp.
- When your pizza crust is ready, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, and have the crust ready in your workspace.
- Heat some olive oil (we used a basil infused olive oil for added fun) in a pan, and then add your shrimp. Cook for a few minutes on each side until the colour changes to the classic pinkish/orange of cooked shrimp. Note, your shrimp doesn’t need to be fully cooked through at this point.
- As your shrimp cooks, scoop and spread your marinara sauce atop your crust(s). Then, sprinkle on some red pepper flakes and dried basil.
- When your shrimp is ready, place it atop your sauce.
- Finish everything with a layer of shredded mozzarella.
- Transfer to the oven, and bake for about 15-20 minutes until your crust reaches your desired level of crispness, and your cheese fully melts.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!