If you’re looking to build some Autumn flavours into your next pizza, look no further! As we continue to cook with our latest Pumpkin, we realized it had been too long since we’d made a funky pizza. So, we sliced the pumpkin into thin chunks, built a pomegranate and mustard sauce to accentuate and enhance the natural sweetness of roasted pumpkin, and then topped everything with a combination of Gruyere (for the saltiness) and Chevre (for the earthy creaminess). As a final touch, we constructed our pizza with Sourdough Pizza Dough to balance the sweet and rich flavours with a little bit of fermented sour goodness!
Time: 45 Minutes
- Pizza Dough/Crust
- Fresh Pumpkin
- Gruyere Cheese
- Goat Cheese
- For your sauce:
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Tablespoon All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Pomegranate Juice
- 1-2 Teaspoons Whole Grain Dijon Mustard
- Place your pizza stone in the oven, and preheat to 375 degrees F.
- Slice your onion, and sautee in a little butter to caramelize/brown it. Then, remove and set aside.
- As your onion cooks, Break Down your Pumpkin, remove the skin, and cut each wedge into thin slices (so that they roast to perfection as your dough cooks).
- Sprinkle some corn meal on a piece of parchment paper, and roll out your pizza dough. You may need to sprinkle a little flour atop your dough to prevent it from sticking to your rolling pin.
- Turn your attention to your sauce:
- Melt your butter in a sauce pan.
- Whisk in your flour so that it forms a bubbly paste. Allow to sit for about 30 seconds.
- Whisk in your pomegranate juice and mustard.
- Allow to cook until it thickens a little. It should form large bubbles at the surface when it’s ready.
- Pull your hot pizza stone out of the oven, and slide your dough (parchment paper and all) onto it.
- Spread your sauce atop your pizza dough.
- Place your pumpkin slices and onions over your sauce.
- Then, top everything with your cheese.
- Put your pizza in the oven, and bake for 20-25 minutes (or until your crust reaches your desired level of crispness).
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!