Here’s another in our long line of homemade Veggie Burgers! This one plays off the delicious veggie and legume combination called Succotash. Initially, we were going to try to make a sweet cranberry aioli for our sauce, but frankly, I burned that beyond all recognition, and we called an audible and went with BBQ Aioli. I think the sauce we ended up using worked better than the original idea would have even if I hadn’t botched it.
We served this with Butter Cabbage, but it would go really well with our Garlic Dill Potato and Broccoli Stalk Wedges, Sweet Potato Fries, or Celery Root Fries as well.
Time: 30 Minutes (Plus soaking/boiling times for your beans/peas if using dried, which we suggest for better texture. Also, patties can be made ahead of time and cooked when ready)
- For the Burgers:
- Lima Beans
- Flour (amount to be determined)
- Black Pepper
- Dried Sage
- For the Sauce:
- BBQ Sauce
- Sort through your peas and lima beans to make sure there are no pebbles, and then soak for a few hours (overnight if possible).
- Simmer your peas and lima beans until the peas become mush, and your lima beans become soft. Add more water as necessary. Keep temperature on low, and watch too to ensure it doesn’t boil over.
- As your peas and beans cook, peel and shred your carrots using a box grater o the shredding plate of your food processor.
- When your beans are ready, drain off any excess liquid. Then pour into a big mixing bowl.
- Add your corn and shredded carrots, and sprinkle in your sage, pepper, and salt.
- Working about 1 tablespoon at a time, add your flour, and stir in. Once your bean mixture holds together nicely and is easy to form into patties, you’ve got enough flour.
- Heat a griddle or heavy bottomed pan, and add some oil.
- Form your patties, and place them on your pan, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- As your burgers cook, combine equal parts mayonnaise and BBQ sauce in a small bowl, and stir to fully incorporate.
- Flip your burgers, add any cheese you like, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- While your burgers finish, toast your buns, and prep your toppings.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!