This one was inspired by our Roasted Tomato Saffron Rice, but we made it with a very different cooking method and switched up the flavour profile to suit our entree and veggie side. Originally, the plan was to serve our entree over a bed of garlic infused pearled couscous, but one of our dogs was feeling a little under the weather, so we made some white rice instead. Since we were already using a pot and a burner for his rice, we figured we’d just make a few additional servings and have rice too in an effort to simplify.
Since we still wanted a funky side dish, we scooped the pup’s rice aside to cool once it was cooked…and we went to work on the human version. We began by dicing and sautéing some tomatoes before adding some garlic and finishing everything off with the rice. Since the tomatoes broke down into a liquid, the rice itself was turned red, and the flavours permeated throughout the side dish!
Time: 35 Minutes
- 1/4 Cup of Rice per Serving
- 2/3 Cup of Water per Serving
- Juicy Tomatoes (1-2/serving depending on how tomatoey you want it and how large the tomatoes are)
- 1 Clove of Garlic.
- A little Butter
- Combine your rice and water in a pot, cover, and bring to a low simmer until your rice absorbs all of the water.
- As your rice cooks, dice your tomatoes.
- Melt a little butter in a pan (large enough to hold your cooked rice), and add your tomatoes.
- Peel your garlic, and either use a lemon zester to grate it or a garlic press to press it into your tomato pan.
- Stir together, and continue to cook until your tomatoes lose their form, and your garlic releases its aromas.
- When your rice is soft and has fully absorbed the water, scoop it into your tomato/garlic pan, and stir to combine. Continue until your rice is fully incorporated into your tomatoes.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!