We needed a quick meal the other day, and we had some awesome fresh Feta and Swiss Chard, so we decided to build around that. We love the combo of these two ingredients because the earthiness of the chard meshes so well with the saltiness of the feta…and when you add in some caramelized shallot, you get something truly heavenly.
Normally, we make this as a side dish for entrees like Mediterranean Roasted Turkey Thighs, Gyro Burgers, or Camp-Out Chicken Kebabs. This time, however, we added some chickpeas to add some protein to turn this into more of an entrée, and we served atop couscous to complete the meal.
Time: 20 Minutes
- Swiss Chard
- 2 Tablespoons of Butter
- 1 Tablespoon All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Stock
- Crumbled Feta
- Optional: Chickpeas
- Peel and dice your shallot and garlic. Then, melt your butter in a large pan, and add your diced aromatics. Sauté until the shallot turns opaque.
- As your shallot and garlic cooks, wash and slice your Swiss Chard. Then, add it to your pan, and sauté to wilt.
- If using, rinse your chickpeas, and add the to the pan. Stir them in.
- Sprinkle in your flour, and stir to fully incorporate. Allow to sit for a minute or two, and then pour in your vegetable stock. Stir, and allow your sauce to thicken.
- When your sauce is nearing your desired thickness, add in your crumbled feta, and let it just begin to soften.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!