Welcome to what happens in our house when we have a half a bag of Cranberries at the same time that we realize we haven’t made a Pizza in a while! That’s right…the cranberries morph into a sauce, and we build our toppings from there! In this case, for the sauce, we braised the cranberries to soften and break down their bitter sugars while adding some honey and sage to sweeten it and add some complexity to the flavour.
Then, we spread our sauce atop Sourdough Pizza Dough and added Shaved Brussels Sprouts and goat cheese to the pie before baking! That said, there are a lot of other toppings that would work very well with this cranberry underlayment. For example, we think this would be a great base layer topped with Pulled Turkey or Pork, especially if it’s then finished off with a sharp cheddar cheese!
Time: 90 Minutes (+ time if making your own crust)
- Pizza dough or crust. We used Homemade Sourdough Pizza Dough.
- 6-8 oz Cranberries
- Dried Sage
- 1-2 Cups of Water
- 2-3 Tablespoons of Honey
- Goat Cheese
- Optional Green Ingredients. We used Shaved Brussels Sprouts, but Asparagus would work well too. So would pulled Turkey (with some planning ahead) if you swap the cheese out with cheddar.
- Prep your dough ahead of time if making from scratch…the Sourdough version takes some planning ahead.
- Pour your cranberries into a saucepan, and cover with water. Sprinkle in some sage, and scoop in your honey. Simmer for 45-60 minutes until your cranberries break down into a sauce, and your water thickens so that your cranberry concoction becomes spreadable.
- As your cranberries finish, preheat your oven to 425 degrees F, and stash your pizza stone in the oven to warm.
- Prep your choice of toppings, and cook as needed.
- Place some parchment paper down on your counter, and place your dough on it. Roll it out to the proper size and thickness.
- Spread your cranberry sauce over your dough.
- Pull your pizza stone from the oven, and slide/lift your parchment paper (complete with sauced dough) onto your pizza stone.
- Arrange the rest of your toppings and cheese on your pizza.
- Stash in the oven for 15-20 minutes until your cheese melts, and your crust reaches your desired level of crispness. Then, remove from the oven, and slice.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!