A while back, we used a package of kimchi to make Kimchi Squid Fried Rice. It worked out so well that when we purchased another pack of Kimchi and decided to give it the fried rice treatment again (but with some different ingredients). This time, we used steamed broccoli as our green ingredient, and we swapped proteins. These alterations changed the flavour profile a bit, and the result was a very different, yet equally delicious fried rice!
TIme: 45 Minutes
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
- 1 Cup of Rice (dry volume)
- 2 Cups of Water
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 8 ounces Kimchi
- Soy Sauce
- Optional: Sriracha
- Start cooking your rice:
- Heat a little oil in a pot, and then add your rice.
- Stir to coat and combine
- Let cook (stirring occasionally) for a few minutes until your rice turns slightly opaque.
- Add 2 cups of water, turn the heat to low, and simmer until the water is gone.
- As your rice cooks, dice your onion, and slice your kimchi.
- Heat some oil in a wok or large pan, and add your onion and kimchi.
- Cut your broccoli into florets, and steam to soften (about 4-5 minutes in a microwave).
- As your kimchi, onions, and broccoli cook, dice your chicken breast into small cubes.
- When your onions turn opaque, add in your steamed broccoli, and stir to combine.
- Add in your diced chicken into your onion/kimchi pan, and cook to brown.
- When your chicken is cooked, plop your rice into the wok/large pan, and sprinkle in your soy sauce.
- Stir to combine and fully incorporate your ingredients.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!