We had duck spring rolls at our friends’ wedding a few months ago, and we’ve been biding our time picking the right day to try to recreate them (but with our own flare, of course). We started by employing our “Crockpot Duck Confit” cooking technique to get the duck “fall apart tender.” From there, we built some flavour depth with Hoisin Sauce and freshly grated Ginger. Then, we added some shredded carrots and sliced scallions for a little additional flavour and texture before wrapping up our egg rolls and air frying them! These were definitely not the same as the ones we had at the wedding, but we really liked them all the same!
We served our egg rolls as a side along with sautéed carrots and edamame to complement a Hoisin Lemongrass Duck Slider.
Time: 5.5 Hours (5 Hours of which is Slow Cooker time where you don’t have to do anything)
- Spring/Egg Roll Wrappers
- Duck Breast
- Hoisin Sauce
- Rice Vinegar
- Fresh Ginger
- Shredded Carrots
- Scallion Onions
- Optional: Dipping sauce of your choice. We used a Sweet and Sour sauce.
- Place your duck breast(s) in your slow cooker, and poke the skin with a toothpick a bunch of times to allow for better fat rendering. Then, pour in a little rice vinegar and hoisin sauce. Put the lid on, set the heat to low, and let it cook for about 5 hours.
- As your duck finishes its cook time, slice your scallions (and grate/shred your carrots if not using pre shredded).
- When your duck is ready, peel the skin off, and place the meat in a bowl. Use two forks to shred.
- Pour hoisin sauce over your duck, and grate in some fresh ginger with a microplane grater. Then, fold to combine. Use more hoisin if you want juicier egg rolls.
- Time to build:
- Arrange your egg roll wraps on a large clean surface.
- Scoop your pulled duck meat in the center.
- Top with your carrots and onions.
- Use your fingers to wet the edges of your wraps so they seal when you fold like an envelope (bottom first, then sides, and close it up by rolling).
- Place on a foil wrapped (and oil coated) baking sheet or your air fryer basket.
- Time to cook:
- Spray your egg rolls with oil.
- Air fry at 400 degrees F for 10-12 minutes (flipping halfway through) OR
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 12-15 minutes (flipping halfway through)
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!