It’s pumpkin season, and we are back with a vengeance. For our first pumpkin recipe this year, we decided to break out the Dutch oven and make fries! These babies are much lower carb than their potato based brethren, but they crisp up and become nice and fluffy inside all the same! The key is to coat them in flour so that the flour can fry and create a nice little shell. Then, since we love pumpkin with chipotle, we decided to infuse ketchup with chipotle chilies in adobo sauce to build the perfect complementary dipping sauce!
We served our fries with a Broiled Trout Sandwich (recipe coming soon), but they would also go well with burgers such as our Horseradish Cheddar Infused Burger and Swiss Burger Mushroom Caps…or grilled meats like Mimi’s Venison Tenderloin or Chipotle Maple Pork Tenderloin!
Time: 30 Minutes
- A Fresh Pumpkin (you’ll not need all of it)
- All Purpose Flour
- For our Chipotle Ketchup:
- Chipotle Chilies in Adobo Sauce
- Cut your pumpkin (Carefully! If you have Kevlar kitchen gloves, use them.).
- Cut the stem off along with the very top of the pumpkin so that you can place it flat and upside down on your cutting board.
- Cut the pumpkin in half.
- Use a spoon to scoop out all of the seeds and stringy innards. Keep the seeds to brine, season, and roast!
- Cut your pumpkin into slices about a half inch thick.
- Remove the skin with a sharp knife.
- Cut your slices in half.
- Place your pumpkin slices in a large bowl, and sprinkle a little flour over them. Then shake to coat.
- Pour enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of a deep an for frying. Then, heat it. We used a Cast Iron Dutch Oven, and we highly suggest that.
- When your oil is hot (looking for about 350 degrees F), carefully place your pumpkin into the oil.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes until golden brown, and then flip to fry the other side until it is golden brown as well.
- If making the chipotle ketchup, as your pumpkin cooks, mix some ketchup and adobo sauce from your can of chipotle chilies. Stir to fully combine.
- When your pumpkin is all golden brown, remove and place on a paper towel to sop up any excess oil.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!
Wow this looks delicious 😋
Thank you!!! We just bought another pumpkin and are excited to test the limits of this underappreciated squash!