The other day, I found myself in Central PA with no ability to find a hotel room or any indoor accommodations due to a college football game. So, I booked a campsite, packed up my tent and some camp cooking gear, and cooked a quick camping meal for myself. Not to toot my own horn, but I was very happy at how it came out after about 15 mins of cooking…and it produced minimal clean-up!
The saltiness of the pork, sweetness of the apple and honey dijon, and the distinct sour notes of the sauerkraut worked really well together, and the pretzel bun added to the texture gloriously. Since it was getting dark when I started cooking, I just made two sandwiches rather than making a side. However, this would be great with Sweet Potato Wedge Fries, Pumpkin Fries, or a Side Salad.
Time: 20 Minutes
- Pretzel Bun
- Smoked Pork Loin Chop
- Sweet Apple. We used Fuji.
- Mustard of your Choice. We used a Honey Dijon
- Scoop your sauerkraut into a pot, and begin to heat.
- Heat another pan with a little oil, and when the oil’s hot, add in your smoked pork loin chop. Cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side to get some nice caramelization.
- As your sauerkraut and pork cook, slice your apple thinly, and cut your pretzel bun.
- Apply a good squirt of mustard on your bun, and then build your layers once your pork and sauerkraut are ready.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!