Before I go into the little blurb, I realize that the bun I selected was WAY too big for the burger. This was a fresh kaiser roll, and we used 4 oz of ground turkey per burger. You want to either go with an 8 oz burger or a smaller bun.
We built this burger after deciding that we were going to make a side dish out of sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes reminded us of the fall, and so we went all in on that season. Turkey and Cranberries seemed to represent it well given their Thanksgiving prevalence, and then we added some cheddar for a bit of saltiness. While you may prefer a different sauce (bbq would work well), we made a Mustard Sage Aioli to round out our fall motif.
We served this with our Sweet Potato Wedge Fries, but they would also go well with Celery Root French Fries, Delicata Squash Fries, and Turnip Wedge Fries.
Also, if you’re looking for this flavour profile but without the carbs of the bun, try our Cranberry Cheddar Turkey Ramekins as an alternative!
Time: 15 Minutes
- Ground Turkey
- Dried Cranberries
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Your desired toppings (we used caramelized onion slices, tomato, and lettuce)
- For the Mustard Sage Aioli:
- Ground Sage
- Whole Grain Dijon Mustard
- Add your ground turkey, cheddar, and cranberries into a large bowl, and mash everything together.
- Heat up a pan with some butter or oil, and when it’s hot, form your turkey into burger patties, and add to the pan. (You can also grill if you prefer). If you are making caramelized onions, slice them, and sautee them in another pan at the same time you put your turkey burgers on the heat.
- Allow to cook for about 5 minutes, and then flip, and cook for another 5 minutes. Add more butter or oil as needed.
- While your burgers cook, mix your mayonnaise, sage, and mustard in a little bowl, and stir to fully combine.
- While your turkey burgers are finishing, prep (toast if you like) your buns and any other toppings you’re planning to use.
- When your turkey burgers reach a minimum internal cooked temperature of 165 degrees F, you’re done!
- Build, plate, devour, and enjoy!