We felt extraordinarily indecisive the other day and had a refrigerator stocked with veggies, so we decided to make a four part veggie tapas platter for dinner! The other components we served this were Ginger Turmeric Sugar Snap Peas, Mushroom and Flax Balls, and Lemon Parmesan Kale Chips. We also put a little couscous in the center of the plate to give us a carb and something to tie everything together.
This particular component was originally going to be a simple sauteed green beans with rhubarb, but then, we saw the dried apricots and honey just sitting there in the pantry crying out to be used. Figuring that the two distinct sweet flavours of the apricots and honey would balance the two bitter flavours of the green beans and the rhubarb, we decided to cave to the wishes of the two pantry ingredients. The almonds were added just on a whim to build a little more texture.
Time: 20 Minutes
- Green Beans
- Dried Apricots
- Sliced Almonds
- Wash and cut any ends off your rhubarb and green beans as needed. Then dice each ingredient, and set aside.
- Heat some butter in a pan, and when it’s melted, add your rhubarb and green beans.
- Sautee until the rhubarb starts to soften and “dissipate.” Then, slice and add your apricots and almonds, and sautee for a little while longer. Add more butter and/or water as needed.
- Towards the end, add and stir in some honey to tie all of the flavours together.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!
To me, if you added corn, it would look a little bit like succotash 🙂
Agree! That would be a really fun “sweet” addition.