We love Crab Cakes, but we wanted to try something a little different than normal. I shared this desire with a friend, and he suggested making a corn flake crusting to add some subtly different flavour and not-so-subtly different texture. He was right…that idea was a winner!
We served ours as a sandwich with Sweet Potato Wedge Fries. However, it would also go well atop a salad or with seasoned quinoa and steamed veggies.
Time: 20 Minutes
- For the Crab Cakes (makes 2)
- 4 ounces Crab Claw Meat
- 1 Egg (1/2 of the egg will be used for the cakes and the other half for the coating)
- Bread Crumbs
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Dried Chives
- For the Sauce:
- Lemongrass Paste
- Put your crab meat in a bowl with your seasoning.
- Crack and beat an egg in another bowl, and pour in the needed amount (we used 4 oz crab meat, so we poured in half of the egg), and sprinkle in your bread crumbs.
- Form your crab cakes into patties.
- Pour your corn flakes into yet another bowl, and mash them up with your hands into small pieces (this is fun)….or crush them in a food processor, and add them to the bowl after.
- Heat a large skillet with a little oil in it.
- As it heats, work one at a time to egg wash and coat your crab cakes with the crushed corn flakes.
- When your crab cakes are all breaded, and your oil/pan is hot, place them into your pan carefully.
- Cook for about 4 minutes, then flip, and cook for another 4 minutes so that you cakes are golden brown and crispy on both sides.
- As your crab cooks, mix your mayonnaise, Sriracha, and lemongrass paste in a bowl, and stir to completely combine.
- Plate devour, and enjoy!
All of these flavors are outstanding! I love adding stuff to mayonnaise. It just changes everything and is so easy to do. I’ve never heard of lemongrass paste!
We use one that comes in a green tube (brand is “Gourmet Gardens”) that is usually in the refrigerated produce section above the herbs. It is great for quick stir fries. I think they also make ginger paste, basil paste, and garlic paste.
Good to know!