We hadn’t made a Roulade in a while, and when we saw scallopini cut chicken breast in the grocery store, we felt like it was time to fix that. With the thinly sliced chicken, we opted to make individual rolls (which was new for us, as we normally stuff and roll a large piece of meat). For the stuffing, we chose to use sauteed cremini mushrooms and scallion onions, and then we wrapped everything in bacon!
We served our roulades over mashed potatoes, but if you’d like to infuse some veggies, try either of our Sneaky Mashed Potato Recipes (with Cabbage or with Cauliflower)…or try a rice side like Mushroom Lover’s Risotto or Leek Infused Rice (recipe coming soon)!
Time: 45 Minutes
Ingredients (for each pinwheel):
- Chicken Breast, Scallopini Cut (Thinly sliced)
- Cremini Mushroom or Sliced Portobello
- 1/2 Scallion
- Preheat your oven to 415 degrees F.
- Prep your veggies:
- Rinse and remove the stems from your mushrooms
- Clean and cut your scallion into 3″ strips.
- Melt some butter in a pan, and when it’s ready, add in your scallions and mushrooms. Stir occasionally, and when your scallions begin to brown, remove while your mushrooms finish. When your mushrooms have softened and browned, remove them too.
- Working in batches, lay a few strips of bacon (removing excess fat as you like) on a large cutting board.
- Top your bacon with a thin slice of chicken, and then place a sauteed mushroom and onion on top.
- Carefully roll your chicken and bacon up (making sure the onion and mushroom doesn’t squirt out…it will try), and place it on a rack that fits into a baking pan (to collect drippings).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until your chicken reaches a minimum internal cook temperature of 165 degrees F, and your bacon crisps up a bit.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!