If you’re looking for a fun way to cook white fish into a cake that’s got a nice crispy golden brownness on the outside and is pillowy and soft on the inside, look no further! These babies are the perfect intersection between two classic English dishes, Fish n’ Chips and Bubble and Squeak.
When it comes to what to serve with these, the options are boundless. We made a Sweet Paprika and Rhubarb Aioli, but we would also highly endorse a garlic white wine butter sauce, tartar sauce, hollandaise, BBQ Sauce, or even topping them with a poached egg and letting the yolk become the sauce when you cut into your cake.
Then, there’s the side dish pairing choice! We would have served these with a side salad or Roasted Asparagus…but seeing as though we were working within the confines of “quarantine fridge,” and we had spinach, potato, and haddock in our cakes, we threw our hands up and said, “Well, the side dish is built in.”
Time: 60 Minutes
- For the Cakes
- Haddock Fillets
- Russet Potato
- Onion Powder
- Black Pepper
- Dried Chives
- Sauce/topping of your choice (We used the Aioli from our Sweet Paprika Chicken Burgers recipe)
- Peel your potato, cut it into chunks, and boil it until soft.
- Using a large round pan, bring some water to a simmer. Rinse your haddock fillets, and add to your water to poach for about 5 minutes. Then, remove from the water, and set aside to cool a bit.
- When your potato is soft enough that you can mash it with a fork, drain the water, and pour your potatoes to a large mixing bowl. Then, mash with a fork (you had to see that coming!).
- Flake your fish (skin should come off pretty easily), and add it to your potatoes.
- Dice your spinach, and add that to the potatoes and fish.
- Crack an egg, and put that in the mixing bowl too with the rest of your seasonings.
- Mix with your hands to combine.
- Heat some oil in a cast iron pan, and when it’s hot, form your fish cakes, and carefully place them in the oil.
- Cook for about 5-6 minutes until they are golden brown on the bottom, and then flip, and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
- Plate, top with your desired sauce, devour, and enjoy!