My mother-in-law and I teamed up to make Valentine’s Day dinner, and this is what we came up with. Essentially, these are a healthier version of bacon wrapped scallops that doesn’t sacrifice any of the flavour. We also broiled the scallops (rather than our normal cast iron pan searing), which allowed us to make a bigger batch than normal. Because of that, these are great for hosting a special occasion dinner and can even be used as an appetizer!
We served these over long grain wild rice (finished with a little melted butter stirred in) and steamed green beans.
Time: 25 Minutes
- Sea Scallops
- Speck (or Prosciutto)
- Line a broiling pan with foil, and give it a quick oil spray.
- Rinse and dtry your scallops.
- Cut your speck or prosciutto into strips about 3-4 inches long and 1 inch wide.
- Wrap each scallop in a speck/prosciutto strip, and stick a toothpick through to hold it in place, and put it on your broiling pan.
- Turn on your broiler, and place your scallops under it.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes (depending on distance from broiler and your oven’s broiler temperature) until your scallops turn white, and your speck/prosciutto darkens and beings to brown in some spots. Your speck should become crispy as well.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!
Oh, the luxury of it all!