This one is the latest in our set of Veggie Burgers. We only used about half of our tofu block to make our Tofu Stuffed Mushrooms the other day, so we decided to use the rest to make a meal with a much spicier flavour profile. We added some egg, more bread crumbs, and some habanero powder to our crumbled tofu, and from there, it was easy to form into a cohesive burger patty that was ready for the pan!
We served this on toast with some melted Colby Jack cheese and BBQ sauce. However, a lime aioli would also be a great sauce for this one. Also, try these with one of our favourite low carb burger sides, Yellow Bean “French Fries.”
Time: 30 Minutes
Ingredients (makes about 6 burgers)
- Firm or Extra Firm Tofu
- 2 Eggs
- Bread Crumbs
- Onion Powder
- Habanero Powder
- Pour the water out of your tofu package, and then place your tofu block on some paper towels. Wrap it to try to pull out excess moisture. Depending on the absorbancy of your paper towels, you may need to do this a few times.
- Put your (less watery) tofu block into a large bowl, and mash it up with your hands so that it is uniformly crumbly.
- Add your eggs and bread crumbs to your crumbled tofu, and mix in your salt, habanero powder, and onion powder as well. Mix to combine (adding more bread crumbs if necessary).
- Heat some oil in a pan, and when it’s hot, form your tofu into patties, and put in your pan.
- Let cook for about 4-5 minutes until golden brown on the bottom, and then carefully flip.
- Cook for another 4-5 minutes. While you’re doing this, toast your bread or bun and prep your sauce and toppings.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!