This is the perfect bed for BBQ to lay upon! Whether you use pulled pork, pulled chicken…smoked or slow cooked…or do something crazy like we did with a Turkey Giblet BBQ Bonanza, you can’t go wrong! Heck, you can even use pulled jackfruit for this if you prefer a vegetarian option.
For this side dish, we essentially blended Polenta with some BBQ-friendly flavours and then finished it off with a similar technique that you’d use to make Rösti or Crispy Saffron Rice Cakes. The end result was a disc that was nice and crispy on the outside and cheesy and fluffy on the inside. You’ll have fun with this one.
Time: 60 Minutes
- Corn Meal (1 Part)
- Water (4 Parts)
- Cheddar Cheese
- Dice your onion.
- Melt some butter in a large non-stick pot, and when it’s hot, add your onion. Sautee to caramelize.
- When the onions are done, add your water, and once it starts to boil, turn the heat to low.
- While stirring everything with a whisk, slowly add your corn meal. Whisk until it is absorbed. It doesn’t have to be completely smooth…that will occur over time as everything cooks.
- While your polenta begins to thicken, cut your cheese into small pieces. Then, add it to your pot, and fold it into the polenta.
- Sprinkle in a little salt, and let everything cook for about 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking and potential burning.
- When everything becomes a blobby mass that holds together nicely, heat up a little butter in a cast iron skillet (make sure it coats the sides too!). We used a small (6 inch) skillet for this to make the perfect sized cake.
- When the butter stops bubbling and starts to turn a little brown, scoop in your polenta mass, and press it down so that it is flat on top and fills your pan.
- Cook for about 7-10 minutes like that. Then, carefully, flip the pan over your plate to get the crispy side of your polenta face up on your plate.
- Let sit for a couple of minutes to firm back up.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!