We used the last of our okra that we picked up from a farm stand in Pennsylvania the other night, so we’ve got one more Okra Recipe to share for now. This one plays on the fact that Okra is often used in Cajun foods (Gumbo!). So, we decided to make a shrimp and okra burger (with okra as the primary binder rather than egg) and season it with seasonings oft associated with Cajun cooking. We hope you enjoy!
Time: 20 Minutes
- Shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- Bread Crumbs
- Seasonings (we used some salt, pepper, and cayenne)
- Put your shrimp, okra, and seasonings into your food processor, and pulse to combine and form a (pardon the off-putting phrase) chunky paste.
- Scoop into a bowl, and add some bread crumbs. Stir to combine. This should make your burgers hold together better when biting in.
- Heat a flat bottomed pan, and give it a little oil spray.
- Form your patties, and gently place them into your pan. Let cook for about 4-5 minutes.
- As your burgers cook, prep your sauce. We mixed Tabasco and mayonnaise to make a spicy aioli…but BBQ sauce or a chili lime aioli would be great too.
- Flip, and let them cook for another 4-5 minutes. By this point, your patties should be golden brown and firm.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!