Today is a special day because it marks the 8 year anniversary of when Samuel picked me out as his human. He and I have been through a ton together in that span…He even expanded his pack by adopting a mom (and finding me the perfect wife in doing so) and her pup, Sadie. There are two foods that he begs hardest for (sardines notwithstanding…it’s not fair to put any other food up against them): Popcorn and Pizza Crust. So, today, he gets his wish…and his humans benefit too. He will be devouring much crust, and we will be doing the same with the topped part of the pie!
This particular set of topping made sense since we had feta and spinach in the fridge…and those two things pretty much always scream out Greek (see our Spanakopita recipe!) to us. We are using our Whole Wheat Crust for this one, but any crust you like will do!
Time: 35 Minutes (more if making your own crust)
- Pizza Crust or Dough (For homemade options, take a look at our Crust/Dough Recipes!)
- Chicken Breast (marinated in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and garlic)
- Feta Cheese
- Olive Oil
- Dill (dried or fresh will work)
- Black Pepper
- Mix your dill and black pepper into your olive oil, cover, and stash aside to let those flavours blend.
- Slice your chicken breast into thin pieces. (If you didn’t premarinate, put it into a bag, and add some olive oil balsamic vinegar, and minced or powdered garlic, and let sit for about a half hour).
- Place your pizza stone in the oven, and heat it to 425 degrees F.
- While the oven heats, give your chicken a quick sautee until it is no longer pink (doesn’t have to be cooked fully through since it should be thinly sliced and will be going into the oven, where it will no doubt finish cooking). I like to work in batches here so the slices can all lay flat in the pan.
- When the pizza stone is hot, pull it from the oven, sprinkle down some corn meal, and place your crust atop it (or form your dough on it)
- Spread your seasoned olive oil atop the pie, and then add a copious layer of spinach.
- Then, add your chicken slices and feta atop your pie.
- Stash everything in the oven for 20-25 minutes until your crust reaches desired crispiness level.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!