Looking for a good, healthy, hearty, and versatile side dish with grains and veggies? Try this one on for size. It’s great with grilled meat, as an addition to soup or stew, or even as a side salad if you let it cool and toss it in a little vinegar. And with the ability to add any veggies you desire, you can make this with quite a few different flavour profiles….The sky is the limit!
Time: 35 Minutes (A little more if you’re roasting your own peppers)
- Barley (I used about 1/3 of a cup for two side servings)
- Roasted Red Pepper (or one whole pepper to roast)
- Any other veggies or seasonings you wish
- Water or stock (roughly 4 parts water 1 part barley)
- Roast your peppers (if not using pre-roasted ones)
- Dice your peppers
- Wrap in foil and bake in the oven at 350 for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Add your barley and water together in a pot.
- Let simmer until most of the water has been absorbed, and then stir in your veggies (including any of the red pepper juice from your roasting).
- Allow the rest of the liquid to absorb/evaporate, and you’re done!
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!