Few ingredients scream out “Fall Flavours” like Turkey, Butternut Squash, Pumpkin Seeds, and Maple Syrup…so when we put them all together, we had a super Autumny meal! In this case, we wanted to build savory flavours featuring Butternut Squash (although pumpkin will also work in this recipe). From there, we added some earthy notes from celery and onion along with some textural contrast via pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries….then (after adding in our ground turkey), we added a bit of funky tangy sweetness in the form of BBQ sauce and Maple Syrup. When it all came out of the pan, it worked like a charm! We think you’ll enjoy this simple yet robust meal!
We served this over Gouda Grits, which served as a perfect counterbalance to the flavours and textures that sat atop.
Time: 30 Minutes
- Ground Turkey
- Butternut Squash or Pumpkin
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Dried Cranberries
- BBQ Sauce
- Maple Syrup
- Cut your squash in half, remove the seeds, and cut into cross sections. Remove the skin, and slice the flesh into small pieces.
- Dice your onion and celery
- Heat some butter in a large, heavy bottomed (we used cast iron) pan. When it’s hot, add your onion, celery, and squash. Sauté until they begin to soften.
- Add your pumpkin seeds and ground turkey to the pan. Use a spatula to break the turkey into small bits as it cooks, and cook until it browns fully.
- Add in your dried cranberries, and stir to combine.
- Pour in some BBQ sauce and your maple syrup, and stir to combine.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!