We picked up some steaks and a jar of locally made horseradish from a farm near us the other day, and we decided we should use both ingredients together. We started by breaking out our Sous Vide so we would have perfect temperature control for our beef. We then decided to make a version of Whipped Butter that we hadn’t yet made (horseradish infused). When all was said and done, we had a really nicely infused butter that slowly melted over our medium rare steak to form a decadent entree!
We served our beef with Roasted Potatoes and a spinach side salad.
Time: 30-150 minutes (depending on cooking method)
- Sirloin Steak (or whatever cut you prefer)
- Kosher Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Horseradish
- Slice your meat into whatever size steaks you like. We went with two 8 oz steaks. Then, give the tops and bottoms a sprinkle of kosher salt.
- Cook your Steak:
- If grilling:
- Let your steaks sit out for about a half hour after salting.
- Heat your grill to medium, and cook your steaks evenly on each side until they develop some nice char marks and reach your desired internal cooked temperature.
- If going the sous vide route:
- Set your water temperature to your desired level of doneness. We used 130 for medium rare.
- Pat the meat dry, and place each steak into a bag, and vacuum seal using a vacuum sealer or the displacement method.
- Let your steak sit in the water for 90-120 minutes.
- Remove from the water, extricate from the bag(s), and pat dry again.
- Heat a cast iron pan, and sear your steak briefly on each side to develop a good browning.
- If grilling:
- Prepare your Butter:
- Place your butter, milk, and horseradish in your stand mixer bowl.
- Use your whisking attachment to mix everything together and aerate your butter.
- Scoop into tablespoons, and place in the fridge to develop a domed shape.
- When your steaks are cooked, let sit on a cutting board for about 5 minutes.
- Plate your steaks, and scoop your horseradish butter on top.
- Devour and enjoy!