Last weekend, we went camping! And as has become a glorious custom, we again turned our attention to Campout Cooking! Our key goals with these recipes involve making nutritious food not oft associated with camping…and that require little cleanup after the meal. In this case, we decided to combine two Chinese Takeout items so they could be cooked together in one pan (with a little prep work…making the rice ahead of time at home). But, while this is great for camping, it’s also a solid option for a normal dinner at home!
We served our rice as a complete meal (veggies, protein, and carbs all included), but if you’re looking for a side dish, we suggest any number of various Egg Rolls or steamed or fried dumplings!
Time: 45 Minutes
- Rice (we used Brown Rice…1/4 cup per serving)
- Chicken Thigh (boneless/skinless)
- Diced Water Chestnuts
- Kung Pao Sauce
- Optional: Dried Red Pepper for some heat
- Heat a little oil in a saucepan, and then add in your rice, and toss to coat. Allow to sit for a minute or two, and then pour in water (2x your rice volume). Then, let simmer until your rice is done.
- As your rice cooks, dice your celery, carrot, onions, and garlic (and dried red pepper if using). Then, heat a little oil in a pan, and add your diced veggies. Sautee until they begin to soften a bit.
- Slice or dice your mushrooms, and add them to the pan after your onions turn opaque.
- As your veggies continue to cook, dice your chicken, and then add it to the pan along with your diced water chestnuts, and stir to combine. Cook until your chicken has fully browned, and the liquids released by your chicken and veggies in the pan have cooked off.
- When your chicken is ready, add your peanuts and Kung Pao sauce, and stir to combine.
- By this time, your rice should be ready, so add it into your pan, and stir to fully incorporate. Let simmer for a minute or two to meld all of the flavours and coat everything in your sauce.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!