Yes, we know Mardi Gras is not a July thing. This one is not named for the season, but instead for the colors, as the side dish is a purple/green/yellow medley. Okay, that disclaimer out of the way, let’s talk about the dish! We got the purple cauliflower and carrots from our CSA and were trying to find a way to cook them together. Then, we saw a giant zucchini in our garden, and the idea to make a simple veggie medley came together. When we saw that the colors were pretty on our plate, we were delighted…and the flavours (simple preparation with butter, salt, and pepper) worked really well together.
As for the carrots, when we bought them, they had their greens still attached. Well, we don’t like to waste, so we took the greens and turned them into a sauce for our Pork Tenderloin with Pureed Carrot Greens. That said, this would also be a great side for a Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu (or its duck analog: Canard Cordon Bleu) or a Grilled NY Strip Steak!
Time: 35 Minutes
- Purple Carrots
- Purple Cauliflower
- Black Pepper
- Peel your carrots, and cut them into rounds.
- Cut your cauliflower florets to separate them, and then cut each in half (or quarters depending on how big your florets are).
- Melt a few tablespoons of butter in a large pan. We used cast iron.
- When your butter is hot, add your carrots and cauliflower. Allow to cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- As your carrots and cauliflower cook, slice your zucchini. At the 10-15 minute cook mark, add your zucchini to the pan, and stir to combine. Sprinkle in some salt and pepper, and continue cooking until all of your veggies are soft.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!