We are dutifully working through our giant stash of post-Thanksgiving discount turkey that we bought, Broke Down into various cuts, and froze back in late November 2021. For this iteration, we needed something we could let cook while we were busy, so we broke out the slow cooker again to cook our Turkey Legs over a long period of time so they’d just fall off the bone. For our flavours, we mixed some cayenne with our favourite BBQ sauce. We then used that to season our turkey legs as they cooked and again later in the process to coat our pulled meat!
We served our turkey with white cheddar Mac and cheese and a sautéed mushroom and sweet pea side! However, if you’re looking for something a little different, we think this would pair very well with Gouda Grits (use smoked gouda for a little extra flare), Cajun Mac and Cheese, or Corn and Okra Medley!
Time: 5.5-6.5 Hours
- Turkey Legs
- BBQ Sauce of your Choice
- Cayenne Powder
- Arrange your turkey legs in your slow cooker.
- Mix your BBQ sauce and some Cayenne powder in a bowl, and then drizzle some of it over your turkey legs (just to coat).
- Set your slow cooker to low, and cook for 5-6 hours.
- When your turkey legs are cooked, remove from your slow cooker, and remove and discard the skin.
- Using two forks, pull the meat off your bones, and then shred it.
- Heat some butter in a pan, and when it’s melted, put your pulled meat in. Drizzle more of your spiced BBQ sauce over, and toss to combine and heat.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!