Continuing along with our Pumpkin Theme, we decided to make something a little different than anything we’ve done recently. For this iteration, we borrowed the notion of shredding our pumpkin from Kürbis Rösti and the smoky/sweet flavour combination from our Chipotle Pumpkin Soup and Chipotle Pumpkin Veggie Burgers. We then added some lighter flavours in the form of shredded spinach, diced tomato, and avocado to build tacos! Lastly, we melted some Welsh Style Cheddar from Landaff Creamery, which really tied all the flavours together with a bit of creamy saltiness.
We normally make our Tacos with medium sized shells, but we opted for “Street Tacos” this time because they looked like fun when they caught our eyes on the store shelf. The smaller shells were definitely fun, and they allowed for a greater “filling to shell” ratio and some fun plating…we will definitely be playing with them again!
Time: 30 Minutes (more if you haven’t already broken down your pumpkin)
- Fresh Pumpkin
- Chipotle Chilies in Adobo Sauce (use as many as you like based on your spice level preference)
- Red Onion
- Lettuce or Spinach
- Cheese of your choice. We used Cheddar.
- Break down your pumpkin, and shred a few of your wedges with a box grater or a shredding plate from your foot processor.
- Slice your onion thinly.
- Dice your chipotle chilies.
- Heat a little oil in a large pan, and add your pumpkin, onion, and chipotle chilies (and a little adobo sauce for good measure). Sautee until your onion caramelizes, and your pumpkin softens and loses its raw crunch (about 15-20 minutes).
- As your pumpkin cooks, dice your tomato, slice your spinach/lettuce, slice your avocado, and slice your cheese thinly.
- Place your taco shells atop your plate, and give them a quick microwave zap to warm them.
- When your pumpkin is done, build your tacos!
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!