So you’ve made broccoli, and you’re staring at your broccoli stems wondering what to do. Well, don’t throw them away! They’ve got great flavour and texture, and they deserve to be eaten properly! They can be boiled and pureed, sliced or diced and added to a stir fry, or in this case, shredded and used as the prime ingredient in a fantastic salad that will be a hit at any potluck, picnic, or BBQ you go to! This version is also healthier than most slaws because a good portion of the mayonnaise is subbed out for yogurt (meaning you can guiltlessly add bacon in if you want).
Tonight, we are bringing this to visit friends who are making us ribs! The slight tang and the creaminess of this salad ought to go nicely with the deliciousness that they are making.
Time: 15 Minutes
- Quickest way is to buy a bag of shredded broccoli, but if you want to do it from scratch:
- Broccoli Stalks
- Red Cabbage
- Plain (regular or Greek) Yogurt
- Champagne or Apple Cider Vinegar (around 4 tbsps give or take per your tastes)
- Some sort of sweetener (We used Truvia Brown Sugar, but regular brown or white sugar would work)
- Dried fruit if you are into that. We are and added cranberries.
- Optional Bacon (always a good addition for a little saltiness)
- Make the vegetable base:
- EITHER Open your bag of preshredded vegetables OR
- Peel your broccoli stalks and carrots, and remove the ends…and cut up some red cabbage
- With the shredding plate of your food processor, feed your veggies through.
- Pour your shredded vegetables into a large bowl with your dried fruit of choice, and add a dollop of yogurt and a dollop of mayo (ratios are up to you…start small, and add more to achieve your desired consistency. It’s so much easier to add more than to remove some!)
- Mix well, and add your vinegar and sugar while mixing
- Tweak flavour and consistency by adding ingredients as you see fit.
- Plate, Devour, and Enjoy!