Let’s just start with addressing the name of this dish. There was no actual crab boil, so I mean not to deceive. Instead, the name comes from the flavours and ingredients that I think of when I think crab boil: Crabs, Old Bay Seasoning, and Corn. Disclaimer aside, on to the tacos!
We had just gotten back from a family week in Delaware, and while on vacation, we saw a ton of crabs in the water…my son even caught one! Because of the universe’s
subliminal subaquatic messaging to us, we found ourselves craving crab meat. Lo and behold, crab claw meat was on sale, so we bought some and got to work. The combination of our creamy/spicy avocado sauce with the crunchiness of the baby kale, the salty seafoodiness of the crab, and the sweetness of the corn made for a really delicious and funky taco!
Time: 30 Minutes
- Crab Claw Meat (~2 oz/taco)
- Corn (1 ear makes 3-4 tacos)
- Tortillas (we used corn since it felt like it fit better with the motif, but flour would also work)
- Leafy Green…We used baby kale, but baby spinach and lettuce would work too
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Optional: Hot Sauce of your choice. We think Tabasco is the way to go.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. As it heats, shuck your corn. When it boils, add your corn, and cook for 5-7 minutes. Then, remove your corn, and let cool slightly.
- Begin to melt some butter in a pan, and dice an onion. Then, add your onion to the pan, and sauté until it turns slightly opaque.
- Scoop your crab claw meat into the pan, and sprinkle your Old Bay Seasoning liberally over your ingredients. Stir occasionally to finish cooking.
- Peel and cube your avocado, and mash it with a fork. Then, combine it with your mayonnaise, some hot sauce, and some Old Bay Seasoning, and set aside.
- Once your corn is cool enough to work with, use a knife to cut the kernels off each cob into a bowl.
- Heat a griddle or skillet, and place your tortillas on it to heat for a few minutes per side (if using corn tortillas, this will
preventreduce the odds of them breaking when you eat).
- Arrange your tortillas on your plates, and smear your sauce on each. Then, add a layer of your leafy green.
- Top your sauce with your crab and onion mixture, and then add your corn atop that.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!