Our dogs, Sadie and Samuel, reminded me the other day that they were overdue for some homemade treats. They did so in rather cute and somewhat demanding fashion, and then they supervised me in the kitchen as I got to work. From some past batches, I’ve learned that two things the pups love are Beets (Beet and Banana Dog Treats and Beet and Honey Dog Biscuits) and Apples (Apple Honey Dog Treats, Apple Pie Dog Treats, and Apple Pumpkin Dog Treats). So, we decided to combine these two ingredients into one treat!
From there, a little flax meal, a some oats, and a bit of flour filled out the ingredient list, and in the end, the dogs were very happy with this batch.
Time: 75 Minutes
- 1 Large Beet
- 1 Apple (or 2-3 tablespoons of unsweetened apple sauce)
- 2 Tablespoons Flax Meal
- 2 Tablespoons Rolled Oats
- 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
- Cut the very top and bottom of your beet off, and place your beet in a pot. Cover with water, and boil until soft enough to pierce with a fork. Then set aside to cool, and when it’s to a reasonable temperature, use your thumbs to peel it.
- Dice your beet, and place it into a blender with your apple component. If using fresh apple, dice it first…if using unsweetened applesauce, just scoop it in. Then puree.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with non-stick foil.
- Scoop your apple beet puree into a mixing bowl, and add your flax, oats, and flour. Stir to combine into a dough.
- Scoop your dough into the treat size appropriate for your dog, and arrange each treat on your baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes on the first side. Then, flip, and bake for another 20-25 minutes.
- Set your treats aside to cool.
- Have your dog Sit, Devour, and Enjoy!