This dog treat recipe is a special one since it comes from a pumpkin my Sous Chef grew in our garden! Normally, we turn these fall squashes into Savory Pumpkin Recipes (and we did that with half of our pumpkin), but this time, the dogs were very interested in partaking in the ingestion of the orange harvest as well.
With them staring at me with wagging tails, I decided to share the pumpkin, much to their delight. We combined the fresh pumpkin with some apple, cinnamon, and honey to build the flavours, and we added oat flour to create the cookie texture before scooping and baking. This was easily one of their favourite Dog Treat batches, as they went wild for them.
Time: 90 Minutes (60 if using canned pumpkin instead of fresh)
- Pumpkin! Either use 1/2 of a medium sized fresh pumpkin or a can of pureed pumpkin.
- A Sweet Apple. We used Macintosh.
- 1 Cup of Oat Flour (All Purpose will work too)
- A little Honey
- A little Cinnamon
- Prep your Pumpkin:
- If using canned pumpkin, scoop it into your food processor.
- If using fresh, Break Down your Pumpkin, and cut the skin off. Then, cut into chunks, and boil until soft.
- Preheat your oven to 350, line a baking sheet with foil, and give it a quick oil spray.
- Core and dice your apple. Then, add it to your food processor along with your boiled pumpkin chunks, and puree.
- Transfer your puree to a bowl, and add in a little cinnamon, honey, and a cup of oat flour.
- Fold all of your ingredients together, and then scoop onto your baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Then, flip your cookies, and bake for another 25 minutes.
- Remove from your oven, and let cool on a cooling rack.
- Have your dog Sit, Devour, and Enjoy!