Sadie (Labradoodle in the picture below) had her birthday this week, so we wanted to do something special for her. She has an insatiable (somewhat self-destructive) sweet tooth, and she’s also allergic to protein, so we made a Sadie-Safe treat that checked all the boxes for what she would enjoy. Of course, Samuel (English Pointer pictured below) was a happy beneficiary as well.
I think the dogs could tell what I was doing as I combined all of the ingredients because they watched my every move in the kitchen. Normally, they cuddle together on the couch while I cook and come to beg when its done…but that is decidedly not how it went this time.
The dogs seem to want me to add a new page to the blog for homemade dog treats. Let me know if you would like the same, and I’ll work to build it out (with my discerning dog food critics as helpers).
Time: 70 Minutes
Ingredients (makes about 30 biscuits)
- 1 Can of Pumpkin (15.5 oz)
- A few Tablespoons of Flax Meal
- A Tablespoon of Honey
- 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Give a quick oil spray to a large cookie sheet.
- Combine your pumpkin, honey, and flax meal in a mixing bowl, and fold the ingredients to incorporate.
- Add and stir in your flour until you have one cohesive dough.
- Scoop your cookies onto your baking sheet.
- Bake for 60 Minutes.
- Allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Watch your dog(s) enjoy!