My wife’s grandpa is a fantastic gardener (a common theme of a lot of our recipes in the spring and summer. When we visit, he usually sends us home with some incredibly fresh produce, and for this recipe, we used his lettuce. When we started to rinse and cut it, we couldn’t help but notice how crispy it was, and we decided to build a fun salad upon that texture. We figured that a little salty/sweet/earthy was the best way to go…so we broke out some crumbled blue cheese, honey roasted walnuts, and sweet onion (Vidalia) before adding a white balsamic glaze drizzle to complete the salad.
We served our salad as a side for Cherry Rhubarb Glazed Quail (recipe coming soon)…which also used freshly grown Poppop Rhubarb, and the sweet and salty notes along with the crispy crunch was a fantastic pairing. We think this salad would also go really well with Pork Tenderloin.
Time: 10 Minutes
- Lettuce of your choice.
- Vidalia (or other sweet) Onion
- Honey Roasted Walnuts
- Crumbled Blue Cheese
- White Balsamic Glaze
- Optional: Dried Cranberries
- Rinse your lettuce, and then dry it with a salad spinner or paper towels. Then, chop it, and layer it on your plate.
- Slice some onion thinly, and arrange it on your lettuce.
- Sprinkle some crumbled blue cheese and walnuts over everything.
- Finish your salad off with a light white balsamic glaze drizzle.
- Devour, and enjoy!