These Dog Treats were a little bit of a risky choice because one of our dogs loves an occasional blueberry, while our other will take it in his mouth, realize what it is, spit it across the room (no joke), and stare at you with a look of pure betrayal. So, we figured we’d need to add some of his preferred flavours if these cookies were to be acceptable to his palate…and we went back to a tried and true favourite: Pumpkin. In addition, we turned the blueberry into more of a paste/syrup to better integrate it into the cookies so if his blueberry disdain is due to texture, that factor would be negated.
Neither pup thought much of my presence in the kitchen as I was mixing their dough…they were too engaged in a cuddle together on the couch to be bothered. But as the cookies baked, and the aromas hit their keen olfactory senses, they eagerly ventured into the kitchen to see what was afoot (apaw?). After the excruciating wait for their treats to cool, they finally got to enjoy…and even our blueberry skeptic couldn’t resist!
Time: 60 Minutes
- A handful of Blueberries
- 4-6 Ounces Pureed Pumpkin
- 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Oats
- Place your blueberries in a pan, and add a little water. Heat and simmer until your berries turn to mush.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with foil. Give it a quick oil spray to prevent sticking.
- Combine your mushy blueberries in a mixing bowl with your pumpkin, flour, and oats. Stir to fully incorporate.
- Scoop your dough onto the baking sheet, and then place it in the oven.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, flip, and cook for another 20-30 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool to room temperature before you have your dog(s):
- Sit, devour, and enjoy!