When we think of Greek Food, we think first of Spanakopita and Gyros. We love gyros (even though we take a lo ton liberties with ingredients) because they have such a great blend of flavours, textures, and temperatures. For this version, we relied on ground turkey and Greek Dressing as our hot protein and paired it with spinach and sliced tomatoes on a whole wheat pita. We also whipped up a quick yogurt dill sauce to complete the sandwiches, which complemented everything nicely. If you’re looking for a quick dinner that hits all the food groups on a busy weekday night, we highly suggest giving this one a try!
We served our Gyros with Dolmas (not homemade…although I want to try making them one of these days). However, they’d also be very good with Sautéed Cucumbers.
Time: 20 Minutes
- Ground Turkey
- Greek Dressing
- Optional: Kalamata Olives
- For your Sauce:
- Plain Yogurt
- Black Pepper
- Dice your onions.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan, and add your onions. Cook for a few minutes until they become opaque.
- Add in your ground turkey, and pour some Greek Dressing over it all. Allow to cook (breaking up the ground turkey into small bits) until all of your meat is cooked through, and the liquid in the pan evaporates.
- As your turkey cooks:
- Combine your yogurt, dill, and black pepper, and stir to fully incorporate.
- Slice your tomatoes
- Arrange your pita on your plate, and drop down a good smear of your sauce before topping that with your spinach and tomato. Add your kalamata olives here too if using.
- When your turkey is done, scoop it onto your pita atop your other sandwich fixings.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!