Welcome to the second part of our Pesto themed meal from the other day! After deciding to make Pesto Gouda Mac and Cheese as our side, we defrosted some of our mega-discount-turkey from Black Friday (it’s the only shopping I do on Black Friday), and we threw it in the slow cooker. A few hours later, we tossed it with some pesto, and we had a delicious and easy main course that added even more garlic and basil to our plates!
As we ate, we mused that this turkey would also pair well with other starches like Spinach Stuffing Balls, Twice Baked Potatoes, Sweet Potato Wedge Fries, or Parmesan Polenta and veggie options including Garlic Butter Sauteed Portobello Slices, Garlic and Mushroom Zucchini “Noodles”, or Roasted Asparagus.
Time: 6 Hours (Most of which is in the slow cooker)
- Turkey Thighs
- Optional: Red Pepper Flakes for a little additional kick
- Pat your turkey thighs dry, and place them in your slow cooker. We removed the skin from one as an experiment to see what would happen, and we recommend leaving all the skin on as you cook.
- Sprinkle a little salt on top, and add your red pepper flakes if using. Then, set the slow cooker to low, and let it cook for about 5.5-6 hours.
- When your turkey is cooked, use tongs to remove it from your slow cooker, and place it in a bowl.
- Remove the skin, and give the bone a little twist so it comes right out too. Discard those (or fry up the skin in a pan to get it crispy as a little indulgent treat).
- Use two forks to shred your turkey meat.
- Stir in your pesto.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!