The long offseason is finally over, and the 2019 NFL season kicks off tonight with the Packers traveling to Chicago to take on the division rival Bears. Nothing quite screams “FOOTBALL!” like Buffalo Sauce (hence our Extreme Buffalo Chicken Breast for the NFL Draft in April)…so tonight, we made another distinct take on the “holy trinity” that is Buffalo Chicken, Blue Cheese, and Celery.
This meal is an “all inclusive” dish, and it’s packed with protein and veggies. The base layer of the dish is made from cauliflower and beans (the beans we are using will build texture, but will not have an adverse effect on taste), and that’s topped with chicken and finished with a celery sauce and blue cheese. When all is said and done, this is one of the more nutritious and low calorie Buffalo Chicken recipes you will find. I hope you enjoy!
Time: 1 Hour
- 1/2 Cauliflower (can use a fresh one or start with cauliflower rice)
- 1 Can of White Beans (We’re using Great Northern)
- Chicken Breast
- A little flour (we used a little less than a quarter cup for two chicken breasts)
- Celery (hold the brightest 4 or so stalks aside…they will become sauce)
- Buffalo Sauce
- Crumbled Blue Cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F
- Steam the four celery stalks you set aside.
- Dice your onion and the celery that you didn’t steam above, and using the shredding attachment of your food processor, rice your cauliflower.
- Heat up a large pan with some butter, and add in your onions and non-steamed celery. Once they begin to caramelize, add your celery, and let everything sautee, while occasionally stirring.
- While the cauliflower cooks, puree your white beans (with the water from the can included) in your food processor/blender/Ninja. When the cauliflower is a little browned, add in your bean puree, and also stir in some buffalo sauce. Then, transport that to your casserole dish.
- Cube your chicken, and toss it in a large bowl with some flour to coat.
- Using the same pan you used for the cauliflower (why clean two dishes?), heat some more oil or butter, and then add in your chicken. Sautee until it browns a bit on all sides. Then, pour in your Buffalo sauce, and stir to coat.
- Place your chicken atop your cauliflower bed. Cover with foil, and put in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- While the casserole bakes, puree your steamed celery stalks.
- After 20 minutes, pull your casserole out of the oven, remove the foil, sprinkle your blue cheese atop, add some splashes of your celery sauce, and toss back in the oven for another 3-4 minutes.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!